Ground-Breaking Study on Alzheimer’s to Enter Second Phase

Posted on February 15, 2016 by Disability Help Group

Alzheimer’s disease can completely change the course of life for an individual and their family. When an individual is disabled and no longer able to financially care for their family, Social Security disability benefits may be available to help offset lost income.

A ground-breaking study on Alzheimer’s is set to enter its second stage. This is hopeful news, as the Alzheimer’s Association estimates that 5.3 million people in the United States are living with this chronic disease.

The National Institutes of Health (NIH), the largest forum for undertaking research into Alzheimer’s, will begin to recruit volunteers for a study that hopes to show who is at risk of developing Alzheimer’s.

The second phase, ADNI2, will follow approximately 1,000 individuals who are between the ages of 55 and 90. Emphasis for this study will be on defining structural changes in the brain and functioning ability for those who have mild cognitive impairment (MCI), which is often a sign of Alzheimer’s.

Using imaging techniques and biomarker measures in cerebrospinal fluid and blood, changes that occur in the brain will be tracked. Researchers are hoping this will allow them insight into who may be at risk of developing Alzheimer’s; along with the ability to track the progression of what can be a debilitating disease. With that is the potential to develop successful interventions.

Alzheimer’s can permanently disable an individual. Social Security disability benefits may be available to those who suffer from a severe mental or physical disability. By contacting a Social Security disability advocate today, you can receive information on qualifications for these disability benefits.

Get a FREE Social Security disability guide and avoid the common mistakes many claimants make during their application or appeal. If you or your loved is suffering from a severe physical or mental disability, contact the Disability Help Group at 1-(800)-800-3332.