New Oral Medication Could Reduce or Stop Multiple Sclerosis Progression

Posted on September 22, 2016 by Disability Help Group

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a progressive neurological disease that eventually ends in death. Current treatments exist to reduce the severity of symptoms or slow down the progression, but so far, doctors have been unable to find a cure for the condition. Since the disease is a progressive one, researchers are focusing on developing a way to halt the worsening of MS.

Researchers at the University of California-San Francisco recently published a study in the Neurology: Neuroimmunology & Neuroinflammation journal that detailed the results of a new drug trial.

For the study, researchers gave laquinimod to mice with MS symptoms and then measured their T and B immune cells. These cells are markers of the severity and progression of MS.

In the first trial group of 50 mice, only 29 percent of the group given laquinimod developed MS compared to 58 percent of the placebo group.

In addition, the laquinimod mice had a 96 percent reduction in B cell clusters.

The second trial used 22 paralyzed mice. When the researchers gave the mice laquinimod, they showed a 49 percent decrease in the dendritic cells that create specialized T cells as well as a 46 percent decrease in T cells and a 60 percent decrease in detrimental antibodies.

Researchers are hopeful that these promising results will lead to human trials and eventually the development of a new MS treatment option that does more than just slow disease progression.

Severe Multiple Sclerosis Can Qualify You for Disability Benefits

A multiple sclerosis diagnosis is not enough to qualify you for disability benefits. Because many people live with MS and continue to work, you must demonstrate that your condition prevents you from substantial gainful employment.

Talk to the disability advocates at Disability Help Group. We offer free phone consultations and help you simplify the Social Security disability benefits process. Call us at 800-800-2009 to speak with a disability advocate.