Postural Tachycardia Syndrome: A Disabling Condition in Younger Women with Inconsistent Treatment

Posted on February 17, 2016 by Disability Help Group

Many younger women are at risk of disability because of a condition not well understood or treated. It’s called postural tachycardia syndrome (PoTS), which causes a variety of symptoms when the individual stands up. The most common symptom is a rapid heartbeat. But it can also include fatigue, dizziness, fainting, nausea, trembling and difficulties with concentration. For some people, it causes more than just discomfort – it may interfere with the ability to perform daily tasks.

A study out of the UK published in BMJ Open reports that most patients with PoTS were female and between the ages of 30 and 33 when first diagnosed. It further found that more than 60 percent had a university or postgraduate degree. Many of them had to quit work or change their job because of the disabling symptoms.

There is also not a standard form of treatment. To help with regulating heart rate, many take beta-blocker medications. Patients with this condition take a combination of medications which vary widely. And about a third of the patients in the study didn’t take anything.

Researchers find that PoTS can substantially alter an individual’s quality of life, similar to patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Some with PoTS never recover and others find the debilitating symptoms worsen with time. Despite the seriousness of this condition, there remains inconsistent treatment and high rates of disability. Here in the U.S. it affects about 170 in every 100,000 people, the study authors note.

This condition may qualify an individual for disability benefits. Those who can’t manage the symptoms and meet other eligibility requirements may file a claim. Because of the complexity involved in applying for disability benefits, a representative can be helpful. Or if a claim isn’t approved, it may require legal counsel. At Disability Help Group we can help. Call us at 1-(800)-800-3332 to speak with a disability claims specialist.