Special Social Security Considerations for Military

Posted on February 17, 2016 by Disability Help Group

The Social Security Administration (SSA) released a new version of its Military Service and Social Security bulletin for January 2015. The new bulletin, which is downloadable in its entirety from the SSA.gov website, explains how military personnel can earn Social Security work credits to qualify for retirement and disability benefits from the agency.

Some military personnel may credit special extra earnings during periods of active duty from 1957 to 2001 to their Social Security record. If you served from 1957 through 1967, the SSA will apply the extra credits to your record when you file your Social Security benefit application. If you served from 1968 through 2001, the SSA automatically added your credits to your record.

Military members who served from 1940 to 1956 did not pay Social Security taxes. However, the following circumstances may allow them to apply $160 a month in earnings for their military service during this time.

  • You were honorably discharged after 90 or more consecutive days of service.
  • You were discharged due to a disability or injury suffered during active duty.
  • You are still on active duty.
  • You are applying for survivors benefits and the veteran whom you survive died on active duty.

If you are already receiving a federal benefit based on these years of service, the special earnings credit cannot be applied, except in rare cases. The SSA applies the extra earning credits to your record at the time you apply for Social Security benefits.

Questions about your right to Social Security disability benefits?

To be eligible for any type of Social Security disability benefits you must have worked enough to have earned 40 work credits (or fewer if you are younger than 62). If you feel the SSA is unfairly denying your disability benefits, we are here to help. Disability Help Group helps civilians and veterans alike obtain the disability benefits to which they are entitled. Call today for help with your claim or appeal – 1-(800)-800-3332.