VA Removes Annual Income Reporting for Veterans Health Care

Posted on February 18, 2016 by Disability Help Group

Veterans enrolled in the Veterans Administration (VA) health care system will no longer have to report their annual income to continue their benefits. In March, the VA began directly requesting veterans’ financial data from the Internal Revenue System (IRS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) in order to verify that a veteran meets the income threshold for free VA health care.

VA health care is provided free to any veteran who falls below the income threshold, veterans with a 50 percent or higher disability rating, veterans with catastrophic injuries, and veterans with service-connected disabilities. During a veteran’s annual health care benefit renewal, veterans will no longer have to provide their own financial documentation to show that they still meet the income requirements to be considered indigent and eligible for the free care.

Veterans who sign up for VA health care under the income-based qualification should still be prepared to provide tax returns and SSA benefit statements with their initial application to show that they do not exceed the maximum income limit for free care. However, future annual renewal of benefits will be instantaneous in collecting the necessary financial information to re-qualify veterans for their free VA health care.

If you are a veteran who qualifies for free VA health care you should still continue to update the VA on important changes in your income, living situation or health needs. For example, a health benefits renewal form should be filed when you take or lose a job, add or lose a dependant, have a change in your next of kin, or change any of your basic records (address, phone number, email).

Keeping your VA records and benefit paperwork up to date is an important step in keeping your VA benefits. Disability Help Group are here to help if you lose your VA benefits due to paperwork mishaps or disability evaluations. Contact us today to get help with your claim. Call 1-(800)-800-3332 to speak with a claims representative.